Another Reason Why It’s a Bad Idea to Break Into a Texas Home: Armed Elderly Man Kills Home Intruder

shutterstock_113870203-270x179

By Jason Howerton

Dallas News | myFOXdfw.com

An armed elderly man in Dallas shot and killed a suspected burglar after finding him trying to break into his Dallas home this week. However, he was also forced to defend his actions after the would-be robber’s family showed up at his home.

The homeowner, a repeat burglary victim, found 33-year-old Deyfon Pipkins attempting to climb in the house through the window and fired at least one shot at the criminal, hitting his target.

Dallas police Sgt. Calvin Johnson told KDFW-TV that the homeowner is covered by the so-called “Castle Doctrine,” which provides legal protection to gun owners in Texas and other states who are forced to use deadly force against a home intruder.

“It means they don’t actually have to retreat once someone comes in their home,” Johnson said. “You have the option of using deadly force if you believe your life is in danger

21237261_BG1-620x348

Once police identified the suspect as Pipkins, officers notified his family. Some of those family members showed up at the house and expressed their anger at the homeowner for not issuing a “warning.”

“He could have used a warning,” Lakesha Thompson, Pipkins’ sister-in-law, said. “He could have let him know that he did have a gun on his property and he would use it in self-defense.”

The suspect reportedly had a extensive criminal record and had served time in prison. He was previously convicted of theft, possession of a controlled substance and criminal trespassing.

Police have not charged the homeowner with any crime, but Dallas police will now refer the case to the Grand Jury to determine whether he followed the law when he killed the home intruder.
blaze.com

Ronald Hussey says:

The guy's a hero, he saved the state allot of money by not having to arrest this guy again and house him in jail for years. If you break into to anyone's house to rob it, no warning's are necessary if you walk through that door, I say shoot them any way and any where you can.

Matt Kiefer says:

Warning? Here is your warning, dont break into a fucking gunowners house, the surgeon general has found that it may be hazardous to your health….think of the tax dollars saved. thank you texas patriot homeowner

Gerardo Negrón Sr. says:

With the gun ban pending and cost of ammo, a warning shot is out of the question. I think the home owner did what he had to. If you commit a crime you should be just as willing to pay a consequence.

Carol Karrh Debrowski says:

Pay the consequences? You're talkin' personal responsibility. Criminals don't understand the concept, if they did they wouldn't be criminals. I would like to shake the homeowner's hand and spit on the dead criminal. Good Job, one more scumbag gone.

As with any "profession" there's an implied risk meaning you are aware something bad might happen. This guy had spent time in jail so he obviously knew right from wrong so therefore I assume he accepted the risk. I feel for the family of the perp but in the end he knew what might happen, and it did. Great job by the homeowner.

David Sigmon says:

I think the homeowner fired a warning shot. It just so happens it hit the invader, that's all.

Chris Mitchell says:

Why warn him? So he could go to another house that didn't have a gun? One more turd flushed!

Carol Karrh Debrowski says:

What kind of warning should he give, 'Hey buddy here I am, why don't you take your shot first" The warning is the law, locked doors and windows and the name on the mailbox (if it ain't your name on the mailbox, stay the hell out, moron). The old man should be given a medal. one more scumbag off the street. Congratulations, homeowner, you got a HOLE in ONE.

Allen Heape says:

He should of used his double barrel shot gunand blew his face off. That's what Biden told me to do!

You can apply his theory to "life"…..you can use the shotgun approach to things or the rifle approach to things. It just depends really. And both are effective

He may have been justified. It's still very unfortunate that someone died in an attempted burglary. My heart goes out to that family, and I hope nobody else tries to rob that guy. I doubt he can stay living at that same place and ever feel safe again.

Oh yeah, Lakesha, he DID give a warning…it's called a locked door.

Actually most states' prosecutors will say that firing a warning shot would be irresponsible and illegal because who knows where the bullet may land.
When you make your living burglarizing houses you really do give up your right to not get shot.

John Moore says:

If they need some to set in on the Grand Jury they can send me a letter.

Warning shot my butt. Coming into my home through a window means you are a danger to me and mine. Me or you, and it ain't gonna be me.

John Moore says:

with ammo so hard to get now days no warning shot will be fired

old man should of blown his whistle first.

Amy Bobbitt says:

LOL Gone in the corner with his ball point pen

Frank Hobbs says:

His warning was the "click" sound!

Jim Haire says:

That, or pop one shot just over his head, and then shout, "Dang! I missed!"

Gene Melton says:

Jim Haire Yep, so he could go next door to the next house. Not judging but most of them are high on crack to start with, can't pass a drug test to get a job, easier to break and enter to get a fix..

How about the man not trying to break into someone else home, I would have done the same thing.

Nikki Vandiver says:

The fact your breaking into someone's home with the intent to commit a criminal act is asking to be shot at. If you rob a bank are you going to get fair warning from the swat team trying to stop you?

Nikki Vandiver says:

Breaking into someone' s house deserves a warning? WOW!

Gary Fields says:

That's one of the occupational hazards of being a career criminal. Does OSHA keep statistics on this? I'm sure the Obama administration will seek to have this classified as a legitimate career path.

Tim Higgins says:

If you don't want to get shot, don't rob people.. Duh!

Dave Billings says:

The obvious morel is: dead burglars can't burglarize anymore.

Jason Ott says:

what about the warning to the family members of not having rights when breaking the law….i swear stupidity should be damn painful

Mike Allen says:

I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6. I don't blame the guy for shooting the criminal, if he had warned him, he would have come back later.

Sandra Conley James says:

While training to use a gun, a swat officer told me that he would rather get a 911 call, come to my home and carry out a dead intruder, than to get a call to come to my house and find ME dead! I agree!!!!!!!

Jim Johnson says:

Shoot to kill, ask questions and issue warnings later.

Ron Jackson says:

At the price of Ammo a warning shot is to expensive for a career criminal, he was tried found guilty and executed on the spot of the crime.

Jim Haire says:

The perp was obviously homesick for Huntsville! and thought one more breaking & entering would be his ticket there. The homeowner saved the state of TX how many thousands by punching that ticket.

the home owner should of peed his pants that would of chassed him away.

Anthony Garcia says:

I gotcha there! I'm from TX but I live in CO now, I wish we had elected officials that had a set and could stand up to the gun grabbers!

Barbara Hedges says:

and he could have grabbed his ball point pen and scissors. Surely that would have scared him away and he would never commit another criminal act he would be so scared. LOL sarcasm intended. Good for the home owner.

Sandra Conley James says:

Did his family say the homeowner SHOULD have given him a warning? For one, the LAW is a warning! Secondly, shooting at him WAS a warning too! So I think he got the warning!!! And why did his family NOT WARN him 'right from wrong' and raise him to respect other people, their home and possessions? I did not see this question asked of that family!

David Sigmon says:

It is always somebody else fault.

Barbara Hedges says:

Exactly right. give him a warning and then wait to see if he would kill you. If someone breaks in your home they intend to take what you have worked for all your life and maybe take your life. No he did the right thing. I hope more do the same thing. That idiot family is saying if no one is home it is okay but if some one is just tell them go find some one else to rob. Idiots.

Ron Jackson says:

He could have warned this career criminal over and over but he thought his life was being threatened just as I would and he fired one shot to protect himself saving the state many thousands of dollars in trial cost and the cost of confining another career criminal for years, one shot that is what I call GUN CONTROL.